Education [was Re: The Conjunction Fallacy Fallacy [WAS Re: Anti-singularity spam.]]

From: Rik van Riel (riel@surriel.com)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2006 - 17:29:09 MDT

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> I did you the courtesy of informing you that you
> were ignorant, because human knowledge is vast, and even competent
> people cannot always be expected to know when they stumble into
> territory that has already been thoroughly explored.

While the above probably accurate, this attitude does not help
stimulate AI research.

I wonder if it would make sense to set up something along the
lines of http://kernelnewbies.org/ for people interested in
AGI, but not skilled at it yet.

The idea is not to take away from Eliezer's precious time, but
to learn and discover things together, hopefully creating some
more Eliezers in the future :)

I am willing to host the wiki for this project. The site
should be a wiki because the initial participants will
eventually "graduate" and spend their time developing AI,
not maintaining an AI education site. From the kernelnewbies
project it appears that most people are only at the "smart
enough to teach, but inexperienced enough not to be a full-time
developer" level for 6-12 months. This means it should be
very easy for people to roll into and out of the job of site
maintainer. Also, newbies often run into great articles that
ought to be linked :)

--
What is important?  What you want to be true, or what is true?