Re: Education [was Re: The Conjunction Fallacy Fallacy [WAS Re: Anti-singularity spam.]]

From: Ben Rogers (benjamin.k.rogers@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2006 - 21:42:05 MDT

On 8/28/06, Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com> wrote:

> I wonder if it would make sense to set up something along the
> lines of http://kernelnewbies.org/ for people interested in
> AGI, but not skilled at it yet.
>
> The idea is not to take away from Eliezer's precious time, but
> to learn and discover things together, hopefully creating some
> more Eliezers in the future :)
>
> I am willing to host the wiki for this project. The site
> should be a wiki because the initial participants will
> eventually "graduate" and spend their time developing AI,
> not maintaining an AI education site. From the kernelnewbies
> project it appears that most people are only at the "smart
> enough to teach, but inexperienced enough not to be a full-time
> developer" level for 6-12 months. This means it should be
> very easy for people to roll into and out of the job of site
> maintainer. Also, newbies often run into great articles that
> ought to be linked :)
>

> I think this sounds like a great idea. I am definitely a newbie to the
world of serious AI/AGI inquiry, but since discovering the idea of the
singularity and the real possibilities of a posthuman/AI influenced future,
I have been wanting to participate in (or even devote myself to) this
field. A strong resource for people who are interested in AI but are not
involved in the cognitive sciences or computer sciences at academic
institutions would be very welcome.

Benjamin Rogers