Re: [sl4] Please upload some molecular reintegration

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2009 - 03:17:10 MST

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 "Brad Johnson"
<shadow_slysar@yahoo.com> said:

> Reconstructing a biological organism however will
> not be like playing with Lego bricks.

It’s exactly like playing with Lego bricks. Well ok, it’s a few hundred
thousand million billion trillion times as complex, but don’t bother me
with trifles.

> to place an individual molecule in an x,y,z coordinate
> could only be perfectly possible under the conditions of absolute zero.

And yet life manages to do just that every day and in conditions a bit
hotter than absolute zero. What random mutation and natural selection
has managed to do intelligence can do too, and do it one hell of a lot
better.

> Another staggering hindrance of this type of teleportation […]

No need to go on, I personally don’t think this sort of quantum
teleportation will ever work for anything much bigger than a virus. But
as incredible as it sounds I’ve been wrong before.

On the other hand a copy of you made by nanotechnology will be entirely
possible someday.

> Our brains and the operations of our thoughts occur on
> such a complex level that we cannot fathom it.

Obviously.

> no computer can either

Not yet.

> none of this will be achievable until our intellects are augmented

Could be.

> I strongly urge you to stop entertaining
> yourselves with science magazine

I should stop reading Science, the top science magazine (Nature might
disagree) on the planet? I’ve heard more idiotic suggestions, but not
many.

> and begin postulating and formulating a way to bend space.

The thing is that nobody has any idea about how to bend space except by
concentrating a huge amount of matter, and that’s hard. Information on
the other hand, well, lots of people have interesting ideas about that
and information is much easier to manipulate than matter.

> I do apologize for being a total buzzkill

No problem, you’re not a buzzkill, you’re just wrong. It happens to even
the best of us from time to time.

  John K Clark

--
  John K Clark