Re: [sl4] Rolf's gambit revisited

From: Petter Wingren-Rasmussen (petterwr@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2009 - 07:45:10 MST

Maybe I misunderstood the point here..

The way I understood it the whole point was to lessen the likelihood of a
rogue AI destroying humankind, which is pretty far from enslaving it imho.

Example:
A rogue AI in 2040 has calculating C as its primary goal, regardless of
whats happens to humanity. It estimates the needed computronium needed for
this to be about half the mass of Earth.
Its first impulse is to just use the mass here on earth, but it has heard
of Rolf's Gambit. It will probably think that we have no way of forcing a
friendly AI to do the job, but the potential "Friendly AI" will also be a
lot more intelligent than the rogue AI and have completely different
motivations. Because of that it wont be possible for the rogue AI to
calculate the possibility of the FAI to willingly create a simulation such
as described by Rolf.
If the RAI is part of such a simulation it will, by Rolf's descriptions know
that when it starts jeopardizing humanity we are likely to pull the plug and
utterly destroy the RAI.
This will to some (possibly microscopic, possibly significant) degree make
the RAI more likely to emigrate to some other planet before starting to
expand instead of totally destroying the biosphere here on Earth