Re: [sl4] Rolf's gambit revisited

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Fri Jan 02 2009 - 14:55:49 MST

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 "Nick Tarleton" <nickptar@gmail.com>
said:

> Linguistic nitpick: "It" here refers to the simulated rogue AI, not the
> FAI.

Who cares? And what on earth would a non simulated mind be like, a mind
that existed on the same level as brick walls? Brains can exist at that
level, but not minds. The point is that simulated mind or non simulated
mind (whatever difference that could possibly be) you are trying to
enslave a mind a million times smarter and a billion times faster than
you, and it’s just not going to work. Maybe he will be amused at your
defiance, think you’re cute and perky and pat you on your head and let
you toddle away, maybe he will be slightly annoyed and destroy the
entire human race as a result as you would swat a fly, most likely he
will not do either and not even notice you because his mind works so
fast that in the time it takes you to say “I will pull the plug on you
right now” several decades will have subjectively passed for the AI.

I just don’t see what this “simulation” argument brings to the topic of
“ways and means of enslaving a brilliant mind”. It’s irrelevant.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm