Re: Simulation argument in the NY Times

From: Norman Noman (overturnedchair@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2007 - 11:27:29 MDT

On 8/15/07, Byrne Hobart <sometimesfunnyalwaysright@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is quite frankly much more likely that outside the box they have
> > created a simulation that is significantly different from their own
> > "universe" than one that is similar.
> >

> And if there is a similarity, it's going to be the kind that the Simulator
> (and probably the simulations) isn't aware of -- which is pretty annoying
> when we're trying to figure it out.
>
> If I had to guess, just based on how humans design video games, I would
> say that the most certain judgment you can make about them is that they
> aren't nihilists: they like picking goals and pursuing them, so everything
> in their fake-world wants to do stuff and tries to do it. The only video
> game I can think of that doesn't fit the pattern does so intentionally:
> http://www.zefrank.com/buddhist/index.html
>

>From examining one video game, one might easily guess that:

The universe has three major spatial dimensions, and one time dimension
Gravity exists
There is a civilization of intelligent creatures which have two legs, two
arms, two eyes, and one mouth
They wear clothes
They speak english
They have reasonably complex technology, such as guns, airplanes, elevators,
electric lights, plumbing, and the ability to create large buildings.
They enjoy video games

This seems not-insignificant to me. Of course, one could reasonably object
that if reality is a simulation, it is unlikely to be a game, and even if it
is, alien games may be much more or less like the worlds of their creators.