Re: Ultimate Goal of Intelligence; thoughts on creation of Artificial Intelligence

From: Indriunas, Mindaugas (inyuki@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 09 2006 - 03:34:22 MDT

> In my opinion these drivers seem to define the ultimate goal of
> (human) intelligence to be reproduce and support offspring. Even if
> some us like to neglect these drivers in favour of higher goals.

Logically thinking, yes, the goals to survive by reproduction and
other means, and generally - survive, - are the natural goals of any
material entity that actually survives.

However, this goal is induced by time, which is not clear, if is an
actual reality.

Generally speaking, Time phenomenon filters out the ones that don't
want to survive, so the further the time is going to the future, the
more entities are filtered-out by the passage of time, and the more
entities should logically remain with the goal to survive.

This once made me think that survival is the ultimate goal of living beings.

According to the general knowledge, at some point in the history, it
happened that once the beings acquired some intelligence, and became
able to predict/guess, this was somewhat beneficial for their
survival, and here we have intelligent beings.

However, if one tried to imagine a being, that survives indefinitely,
this goal would cease to exist.

Moreover, I don't see the meaning of only-existing.

Of course, setting a goal "to exist", in a very wide sense means to
become absolutely 100% sure of your existence in all the time, 100%
safe, which requires "omniscence", and here it is almost no
difference, weather you set a goal "to exist", or "to understand
everything".

However, the second one ("to understand everything") is easier to
define procedurally. Moreover, it is clearer if you try to ask, what
is the meaning of existence at all -- by setting a goal "to understand
everything", rather than "to exist", you automatically not give up
answering this question, not give up answering the question about
time, and reality, and everything, including the existing emotions of
other people, existing feelings, and other phenomena.