Re: Ultimate Goal of Intelligence; thoughts on creation of Artificial Intelligence

From: Rik van Riel (riel@surriel.com)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2006 - 14:58:49 MDT

On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Joel Pitt wrote:

> In my opinion these drivers seem to define the ultimate goal of
> (human) intelligence to be reproduce and support offspring. Even if
> some us like to neglect these drivers in favour of higher goals.

Entropy.

In the beginning there was a "soup" of energy. When the
universe cooled down some more, particles formed, and later
atoms and molecules, introducing some order.

Gravity caused clumps of matter to grow, introducing more
order, in both matter and energy.

Then life sprung up, reproducing itself and organizing matter
into more orderly shapes.

Intelligence allows for further ordering of matter, energy
and data...

Life and intelligence form little pockets in the universe
where order increases, instead of being worn down by entropy.

Isn't it beautiful?

Couldn't introducing order and/or countering entropy locally
be worthy causes of life and intelligence? :)