Re: ESSAY: Program length, Omega and Friendliness

From: Randall Randall (randall@randallsquared.com)
Date: Thu Feb 23 2006 - 23:37:05 MST

On Feb 23, 2006, at 12:05 PM, Russell Wallace wrote:

> On 2/23/06, Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com> wrote:
> ...in the absence of error correcting mechanisms being produced
> by natural selection.
>
> No, that's with all the error correcting mechanisms. In fact, one
> set of calculations showed that even after taking into account all
> error correction, redundancy etc, humans should still have about
> half a dozen effective mutations per generation, which means any
> people you might happen to meet from time to time would be figments
> of a deranged imagination. (I don't know whether that's been
> resolved yet, though I do remember a more recent announcement that
> the number of genes in the human genome was smaller than previously
> thought, which would help.)

You're making a statement including the error correcting
mechanisms (ECM) which actually exist at the moment, where
the statement by Eliezer I was responding to was about
natural selection in general, and I just wanted to point
out that it seems clear that observed present-day rates
are not necessarily maximum rates, given that better ECM
seems possible.

--
Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com>
"Perhaps the real obstacle to the widespread adoption of CL is that