Re: physics of uploading minds.

From: Chris Capel (pdf23ds@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 13:39:26 MST

On 10/30/05, Pope Salmon the Lesser Mungojelly <rainbow@beautywood.org> wrote:
> Won't there be a certain number of these people in the future? People who
> have massively expanded, developed sufficient autonomy to no longer need
> their brain as a central command station, then "died" but left behind
> records of thousands of hours of brain scanning (& associated
> audiovisuals), perhaps catalogs of pictures of every individual neuron,
> perhaps a frozen head. Some such people are likely to care about being
> resurrected, and in some form perhaps they will be.

Judging by the relative states of our theories of brain architecture
and nanotechnology, I have little doubt that we'll have more than
enough theory, if not computational power, to do brain simulations by
the time we get scanning technology that's high-res enough to be
amenable to such post-hoc reconstruction. At this point I think the
cognitive scientists are doing a lot of waiting on scanning tools, not
the other way around.

Chris Capel

--
"What is it like to be a bat? What is it like to bat a bee? What is it
like to be a bee being batted? What is it like to be a batted bee?"