Re: physics of uploading minds.

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 08:27:48 MST

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 "Phillip Huggan" Wrote:

> copying an original mind's brain states down
> to a Planck length resolution is insufficient
> to affect personal identity.

What you’re saying above is that there is some mysterious secret sauce
that you can not see, hear, feel, taste, smell or be detected in any way
with the scientific method that is nevertheless the most important thing
in the universe; I don’t buy it.

As I said before personal identity can not possibly be as delicate as
you claim, if it were it would not be subjectively continuous and we
would die every time we took a sip of coffee of took a nap or did much
of anything.

> There is more to configuration of matter/energy
> than knowing 4D atom co-ordinates. The fields
> and forces that give rise to atoms comprising
> a mind must also be replicated for uploading to work.

Forgive me but the above sounds like a euphemism for the soul. And if
you believe in the soul I have a bridge I’d like to sell you.

John K Clark

  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html