Re: physics of uploading minds.

From: Pope Salmon the Lesser Mungojelly (rainbow@beautywood.org)
Date: Sun Oct 30 2005 - 10:49:38 MST

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 10:18:35 +0000, ben <benboc@lineone.net> wrote:

> That is, incrementally adding artificial parts to the brain, thus
> increasing the capabilities of the mind, until the biological brain
> is a small, pretty insignificant part of the whole.

Here's another thing to consider, along that line of thought: Some of the
things which will be part of each expanding brain will be numerous
self-scans, of ever-increasing complexity. At first these might just be
for instance (presuming that people were to take an interest fairly
quickly) consumer-grade fMRIs. They would grow more & more precise,
probably including continuous brain scanning at some level of detail 24
hours-- just for the heck of it.

Won't there be a certain number of these people in the future? People who
have massively expanded, developed sufficient autonomy to no longer need
their brain as a central command station, then "died" but left behind
records of thousands of hours of brain scanning (& associated
audiovisuals), perhaps catalogs of pictures of every individual neuron,
perhaps a frozen head. Some such people are likely to care about being
resurrected, and in some form perhaps they will be.

We'll have stranger problems by then, I'm sure.

<3,
mungojelly