Parallelism (Re: Introduction)

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Sep 08 2005 - 17:55:57 MDT

--- Michael Wilson <mwdestinystar@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm with James on this on; Richard is once again showing a tendency
> to dramatise. Parallel programming has its own set of problems and
> techniques, and programmers often make a hash of things because they
> try to implement parallel systems without first becoming familiar
> with
> the relevant tools and pitfalls. But there's nothing particularly
> special about designing parallel systems

Parallelizing serial algorithms is not that hard.
Distributing serial algorithms so that there is no central
memory, clock, or administrator is hard.
Conceiving of algorithms that are parallel, asynchronous,
and error-tolerant from the beginning, and have no
conceptually equivalent serial algorithm, is very hard.

- Phil