RE: Universe identity (was: Fighting UFAI)

From: Peter de Blanc (peter.deblanc@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jul 15 2005 - 19:44:49 MDT

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 16:44 -0400, pdugan wrote:
> I think you miss my point though, what I'm advocating is
> an inclusion of all information held by the AGI into what functionally
> might
> be seen by humans as identity, the AGI treats everything as it would
> treat
> itself if it had a tangible individuated self-concept as we do;
> functional
> selflessness.

This is anthropomorphic thinking. You're suggesting we take an AGI with
an observer-centric goal system, and convince it that everything is part
of the observer. In fact an observer-centric goal system is something
you would have to add, so all you're accomplishing, at best, is
implementing the goal system you had originally intended in a more
roundabout fashion. Please look at CFAI, especially section 2.2, which
covers this topic. Here's a link if you need it:

http://www.intelligence.org/CFAI/anthro.html#selfishness