RE: Universe identity (was: Fighting UFAI)

From: pdugan (pdugan@vt.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 15 2005 - 14:44:16 MDT

Touche, you make some good points about design pitfalls regarding as vague a
term as "Identity". I think you miss my point though, what I'm advocating is
an inclusion of all information held by the AGI into what functionally might
be seen by humans as identity, the AGI treats everything as it would treat
itself if it had a tangible individuated self-concept as we do; functional
selflessness. Sentience isn't a pre-requisite for this inclusion, only
existence, or computability if you want to avoid the philosophical problems
associated with the term "Existence".
   Now, there is a major issue with how the AGI would treat itself if it had
an individuated self-concept, for instance just because it sees everything and
itself as one doesn't mean it wouldn't optimize everything into nano-tiles.
Plus you have to consider that not only am I a human trying to reason about
transhuman altruism, I'm a cognitive science layman trying to reason about
implementing said altruism. All I'm proposing is a design hueristic for the
consideration of the real scientists: Altruism is inclusive selfishness.