RE: Eliezer is all sweetness and light! (was Re: More gloomy predictions)

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 17:37:32 MDT

> On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 05:22:21PM -0400, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:
> > Meanwhile, I will try and remember that even if everyone calls me
> > arrogant, this is not who I actually am; I am a mad scientist. It
> > will be harder for me to remember the more time people
> spend calling
> > me arrogant. If you all told me I was sweetness and light, I'd
> > probably get sweeter. Bear that in mind.
>
> I would like to go on record, having met you in person, as
> finding you personable and kind in practice.
>
> In fact, I would *not* be a current donor if this were not
> the case; I wanted to meet Eliezer to find out how bad his
> Asperger's was[1] and how friendly he was, because I have not
> the slightest intention of helping to put humanities fate in
> the hands of a misanthrope.
>
> -Robin

Robin etc.,

I've met Eli in person a few times, and we even shared a hotel room once
(at that point, shortly after my company Webmind Inc. closed its doors,
I was harder-up for funds than him and he was nice enough to let me
share his room with him). Of course, we got along fine. I've seen Eli
be really obnoxious to *other people* in some cases, but he's always
been really nice to me in person, and I think I've always been nice to
him in person as well.

I like Eliezer, I think he's a fun and fascinating guy, and one of the
cleverest people I know.

That doesn't imply he doesn't scare me sometimes, though ;-)

-- Ben G