When did it start to matter?

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 17:49:40 MDT

A moment of critical insight on #sl4:

  <JasonJ> maybe it will blow over if he just gets designated as wildly
eccentric.
  <James> wildly eccentric is not good for PR unless you are running a cult
  <JasonJ> his personality does not frickin matter.
  <James> No, but the public projection of personality does
  <JasonJ> if it were a cult then it would.

I think that long ago I took a wrong turn, when people started to talk as
if it mattered, and I went along with it, instead of laughing. *That*
could have messed me up, if I hadn't caught on.

But it's never too late to give a hearty *thbbbppt* to all the people who
insist on taking it seriously. Including me, should I relapse.