Eliezer is all sweetness and light! (was Re: More gloomy predictions)

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 15:46:29 MDT

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 05:22:21PM -0400, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:
> Meanwhile, I will try and remember that even if everyone calls me
> arrogant, this is not who I actually am; I am a mad scientist. It
> will be harder for me to remember the more time people spend calling
> me arrogant. If you all told me I was sweetness and light, I'd
> probably get sweeter. Bear that in mind.

I would like to go on record, having met you in person, as finding you
personable and kind in practice.

In fact, I would *not* be a current donor if this were not the case; I
wanted to meet Eliezer to find out how bad his Asperger's was[1] and how
friendly he was, because I have not the slightest intention of helping
to put humanities fate in the hands of a misanthrope.

-Robin

[1]: Using the term "Asperger's" in a non-clinical sense. I saw no
sign of any, but I find it tremendously unlikely that someone with Eli's
social history could be entirely devoid of it. I only talked to him for
an hour or so. The point is he doesn't have enough to have detectable
social problems, beyond the "problem" of his obvious urge to tell people
that try to reduce AI to a single sentence that they need to STFU. This
is an urge I fully support.

--
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/  ***  I'm a *male* Robin.
"Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple