Re: SIAI will self-destruct

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 15:28:15 MDT

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 01:56:09PM -0700, David S. Hansen wrote:
> What SIAI seems to not understand is that when one undertakes a
> serious round of fundraising, one must approach potential serious
> investors with either credibility or a product - and for reasons noted
> above, this is something SIAI does not have.

Ummm.

Who said that SIAI is attempting *corporate* fundraising? This is what
your are talking about, and no-one cares because SIAI has never been
trying for it.

Non-profit fundraising is a whole different barrel of wax. Greenpeace
seems to manage to make money, for example, but if you can find a
*non*-arrogant person there I'd be impressed.

The same largely applies to the EFF, as another example.

Involvement in a non-profit with a humanitarian goal tends to foster a
sense of superiority. This is a perk of involvement, and is a good
thing.

-Robin

--
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/  ***  I'm a *male* Robin.
"Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple