Re: 'Singularity Realism' - A few thoughts

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 23:18:02 MST

On Mar 5, 2004, at 5:38 AM, Chris Healey wrote:

> Marc,
>
> But I do notice an increasing tendency to NOT post content related
> directly to useful implementation. From what I can tell, the public
> FLARE language project has been retired because it is considered
> indiscriminate leverage toward ALL possible AIs, and the SIAI has a
> goal of expediting Friendly AI only, not precipitating crisis.

I think you may have made that up largely out of whole cloth. Creating
a new workable language and proving its viability is hard. I don't
believe FLARE ever gained enough momentum to achieve this. I for one
saw nothing terribly compelling or necessary about the language. It
was not some huge boon to AI programming in general. IMHO, it was a
needless distraction.

- samantha