Re: New pyramids

From: wiggin01@ftml.net
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 13:30:57 MST

Regardless of the likelihood of what we think of as "the Singularity" or
a collapse occuring, I think this story illustrates the lack of
appreciation for change that is so common in the mainstream. We still see
very powerful and educated people planning important projects without any
respect for likely technological improvements. A good example is the
Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository debate:

http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/features/2002/july/yucca/

"Abe Van Luik and other Department of Energy scientists have spent
billions of dollars studying the mountain, and have created a computer
model to follow the flow of water to get an estimate of how much
radiation might be encountered by a local farmer 10,000 years from now.
... Skeptical geologists point out that it's hard to predict how much
rain will fall in Nevada 10,000 years from now."

It's also probably pointless to be predicting the damage to a wandering
farmer (never mind the likelihood that such a thing would exist that far
in the future) more than a hundred years in advance. I'd go so far to say
that if this is still a major concern to humanity at that point, we've
probably got a lot of more serious problems than that on our hands.

-Andrew

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - I mean, what is it about a decent email service?