probability theory and the philosophy of science

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2004 - 21:51:06 MST

Hi all,

This is not directly SL4-focused but I believe it is SL4-focused ... as it's
about the nature of science and it is, after all, science that will be
bringing us the Singularity. Plus it's about probability theory which gets
lots of airtime on this list.

Anyhow, I started rereading some of my old favorite philosophers of science
a couple weeks ago, and the result was that I couldn't restrain myself from
writing an essay on the philosophy of science (mostly while sitting in the
Sao Paulo airport on a goddamn 8-hour gap between flights!!)

Here it is, if anyone's interested...

"Science, Probability and Human Nature: A
Sociological/Computational/Probabilist Philosophy of Science"

http://www.goertzel.org/dynapsyc/2004/PhilosophyOfScience_v2.htm

-- Ben G