Re: c * (positive qualia -negative qualia) + (1-c)* (total complexity of pattern)

From: Metaqualia (metaqualia@mynichi.com)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 06:59:43 MST

> I don't know if you can say qualia exist outside the brain. Maybe I'm

Good point; gravity also does not exist outside of physical objects, but
there could be a graviton particle which transmits it, and the graviton if
harnessed could give us control over gravity independently of matter.
Similarly there could exist a "qualion" (sounds like a bad word in italian)
or a fundamental process (be it physical interpretative or
information-theoretical) that produces qualia, now we know this particle
exists in the brain, and probably a sort of brain will always be needed to
create it, but I am not sure at all that the logical mind, the knowing mind,
is needed to experience a quale. I don't feel physical pain growing stronger
as I age and learn things. So I tend to believe a child feels pain just the
same, or a small mammal, and who knows, maybe a crab or a particular
interpretation of the order in which rain drops fall over a square mile of
soil in tanzania.

mq