Re: c * (positive qualia -negative qualia) + (1-c)* (total complexity of pattern)

From: Lawrence Foard (entropy@farviolet.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 22:49:24 MST

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Metaqualia wrote:

> > Suppose the case where happiness is hardwired to some constant value,
> let's
> > say orgasmic. Maybe I should experiment with tantric meditation before
> > making any claims, but I have a hunch that prolonged exposure to positive
> > qualia only desensitizes us to given positive qualia. Bathing with a
> golden
>
> no. it is the brain that gets desensitized and decreases the power of the
> qualia you experience. qualia themselves don't get "used up", they are
> physical constants like electrons going around atoms.

I don't know if you can say qualia exist outside the brain. Maybe I'm
misunderstanding the term, but I take qualia to be roughly the same as
saying 'experience'? Experience is totally a matter of interpretation.
Someone with a different set of associations will experience the same
event very differently. A good example is hot sauce, technically its a
drug that causes pain, yet its served on the tables in many restaurants.

--
 Laughter-Confusion, Pleasure-Pain, Happyness-Sadness, Excitement-Fear,
 Love-Hate, etc. The true primary emotions, a modifier makes each into two.