Re: c * (positive qualia -negative qualia) + (1-c)* (total complexity of pattern)

From: Metaqualia (metaqualia@mynichi.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 21:36:44 MST

> Suppose the case where happiness is hardwired to some constant value,
let's
> say orgasmic. Maybe I should experiment with tantric meditation before
> making any claims, but I have a hunch that prolonged exposure to positive
> qualia only desensitizes us to given positive qualia. Bathing with a
golden

no. it is the brain that gets desensitized and decreases the power of the
qualia you experience. qualia themselves don't get "used up", they are
physical constants like electrons going around atoms.

> Excellent point! When are we human, and when are we purely algorithmic
> General Intelligence?

a. when you have qualia b. when you don't

> Morality has nothing to do with what are Right/Good and Wrong/Bad and has
> everything to do with what is Societal Appropriate/Accepted and
> Inappropriate/Unaccepted. We as noble transhumanists or singularitarians
> need to be thinking a lot bigger. There can be no society! If we want to
> make people live forever, we cannot preserve the burning passion for life
> that is humanity today. Can you say "Hello Planetmind," Earthzakharov?

With a planet mind , morality still applies. Is there a saddam hussein on
that neighboring solar system? Is solar wind interfering with the earths
magnetic field creating intricate processes that are simulating negative
qualia? Are there alternate universes where qualia enabled biological
entities are evolving with tooth and claw?

mq