Re: Has the Singularity already happened?

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 11:31:47 MST

--- Tim Duyzer <tim.duyzer@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Then consider that the world of a medieval monk
> might be incomprehensible to
> us. If I was dropped into Europe, 1200 AD, I'd
> probably have quite a tough
> time dealing with society. I might have a better
> time of it if I studied my
> history and learned Latin, but if I didn't have that
> history, it'd be
> foreign to me.

As someone who does historical re-enactments for
a hobby, and whose character is living in 1253 AD,
I've studied life in that time period. Aside
from much stronger religious and superstitious
belief, people back then were not very different
from us. They had to live within the confines
of much lower technology and material goods, but
they still got married and raised families,
went shopping, etc. One big difference would
be the lack of an idea of progress, since changes
were small within an average lifespan back then.

Daniel