Re: Has the Singularity already happened?

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 20:47:39 MST

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 12:51 PM, Thomas R Mazanec wrote:

> When have we been able to predict the future with any degree of
> accuracy, much less certainty? Judging by the tract
> record of science fiction, futurology, etc., it is almost impossible
> to make predictions that are not prone to the giggle factor after
> several decades.

Usually we giggle because we got it wrong in, what seem to us now to
be, obvious ways. But, the basic ideas were there. We may not have
flying cars, but we do fly places when it's cost effective. Also, keep
in mind that accurate predictions are often the plans used in
implementing an idea.

--
Gordon Worley                          "Man will become better when
http://www.rbisland.cx/                 you show him what he is like."