Re: Has the Singularity already happened?

From: Tim Duyzer (tim.duyzer@sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 22:47:56 MST

Then consider that the world of a medieval monk might be incomprehensible to
us. If I was dropped into Europe, 1200 AD, I'd probably have quite a tough
time dealing with society. I might have a better time of it if I studied my
history and learned Latin, but if I didn't have that history, it'd be
foreign to me.

Maybe the Singularity is the world at time T, incomprehensible to anybody
T-X and T+X except for short periods of time + and - T. Unless the
Singularity is a purely technological event, but I don't think it is. I
think I wouldn't have any trouble at all with AD1200 technology, but
everything else would be a barrier.

I'm not sure if I really have a point here.

Tim Duyzer