Re: In defense of Friendliness

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 23:35:21 MDT

Aaron McBride wrote:

> I'm no so sure that suicide is a natural right. (Actually, I doubt that
> it is.) Maybe if you're a hermit or something, but as a member of
> society you would be robbing the people around you of your value by
> ending your life. I'm sure there is more to discuss here, but I don't
> know enough about ethics not to fall in old traps.

I am not at all a suicidal person. However, some claim that I
owe other people continuing to live even if I find no happiness
in it would be enough to put many over the edge. That is about
the most vicious collectivist statement I have seen in some
time. I don't live for others to draw value from me. I live
because living itself is of value to me. I contribute out of
strength, joy and wanting to make a difference. I don't do so
because I am enslaved by some "duty" to others. Seeing it as
duty where even such a personal and fundamental decision as
whether to live or die is determined by the collective is a very
dark way to look at life and the world.

- samantha