Re: In defense of Friendliness

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 23:44:29 MDT

Tomaz Kristan wrote:
> When a PD human exercise a volition, she renders out an outcome of some randomly (via evolution) placed conditions.

Nonsense. A PD human can through some diligence act beyond
evolutionary programming. We do it quite often. If we could not
do that we would not be having this conversation.

> What is the probability, that it will result with the highest result? That some shadow on her mind, wouldn't directed the result several levels bellow optimal?

There is no real reason for me to believe that an FAI would
utterly free of "shadows".

> How could FAI make an autistic person happy? His only volition is - live me alone!

That seems to imply a not so great understanding of autism.
Autistic people can be reached often, even by us befuddled PD
humans. I am sure an FAI could do a much better job of it.

> Friendliness above certain level only?

Who/what determines this? It would be quite arbitrary. There
are PD humans that devote their entire lives to mastering
Friendliness in a very deep sense and going beyond evolutionary
programming. Do you think just because we programmed the seed
(heaven help the FAI) and it then reprogrammed itself that the
FAI will be without error? To the extent we think that I
believe we are engaging in wishful thinking and FAI worship.

- samantha