continuity of self [ was META: Sept. 11 and Singularity]

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2002 - 00:26:25 MDT

> If you
> change the current sentients, us, too quickly and thouroughly
> then you may as well have harvested their carbon and built
> something different from scratch. Too big a leap and the result
> is not *me* having transcended a lot of limitations and
> suffering, but someone and something else entirely.
>
> - samantha

I agree with this sentiment. However, I often wonder about the
meaningfulness of the result being "*me* having transcended..." even if the
transition is gradual. We humans feel a continuity through our whole lives,
but, we don't change very much compared to what's going to be coming. I
really wonder whether this kind of personality-and-awareness continuity is
going to be meaingful at all, post-Singularity...

Of course, if the continuity doesn't happen, it's no tragedy. So, unless
some obvious harm in seeking this continuity emerges, I will seek it, as it
matches my current aesthetic/moral values...

-- ben g