Re: META: Sept. 11 and Singularity

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 23:35:42 MDT

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> Samantha Atkins wrote:
>

>> Excuse me, but I believe this is very much wrong. Here you have a new
>> open hearted, open minded person highly interested in Singularity and
>> posting honestly their steps of integrating and understanding it. I
>> believe that is quite rich and important. I believe that asking him to
>> stop posting makes this list much poorer.
>

> Ben Goertzel wrote:
> > Personally, I would have found it interested to have a technically
> > savvy, articulate, highly religious Christian actively on the list.
>
> GK Uploaded wrote:
> >
> > I spent a good deal of the day yesterday -- 9/11 --
> > mulling over the hope that the Singularity will, among
> > other things, give Humans -- as Trans-Humans? -- the
> > ability to finally achieve Immortality (in a world where
> > we've "licked" Cancer, and Political Upheaval, World Hunger,
> > etc. etc...)
>
> That's it. That's my reply. I'm not going to say any of the things I
> want to say. Either you see it for yourself, or you don't.

OK. I don't. Or rather, I see where that desire might be seen
as SL2 or so and thus not SL4. But having SL2 desires and
ideals doesn't mean one is hopeless about SL4 things does it?

There is, after all, the question of just how we get from here
to there. We will eventually most likely need to travel through
some of the SL2 and so on levels unless the SAI simply changes
everyone instantaneously to where not of that matters. I am not
sure personally that such is actually desirable though. If you
change the current sentients, us, too quickly and thouroughly
then you may as well have harvested their carbon and built
something different from scratch. Too big a leap and the result
is not *me* having transcended a lot of limitations and
suffering, but someone and something else entirely.

- samantha