Re: A Power's Nostalgia of Hairy-Ape-Life (was: Re: Singularity Memetics.)

From: DarkVegeta26@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 17:38:30 MST

In a message dated 1/31/2002 3:58:35 AM Pacific Standard Time,
szegedy@or.uni-bonn.de writes:

<<Perhaps it is unetical to convince a human to upload and waste valuable
computational resources, instead of letting them used by
some well tuned AI much much more effectively.
I may say so: if you save one human life by uploading, you kill a
hyperintelligent/hypersensitive AI in the same turn.>>

The consumption of power in convincing a human being to upload would be
negligible to an SI, therefore it would be easier to build new SI's or SI
components out of simply transcend-ifying human minds which are *already
there*, and more ethical too. So both the SI and we win.

<<Most
people let themselves convinced by people on the same level rather than
by more intelligent ones, let alone by machines. And even if a
superintelligent AI would find very effective (but semantic wrong)
arguments
for uploading by analysing the human memetic flora and the flaws of
human thinking, would it be "ethical"to convince them that way?>>

~shock level deficency detected~
This SI "machine", as you put it, would be very, very far from our current
conception from what a machine is. This "machine" would be much more like
"God" (not in the Christian sense) than any "machine" seen up to this point.
For example, it could take on the appearance of your long lost father or
lover, or give you a feeling of complete bliss when in its "presence". And
those are very anthropocentric examples. A true SI would be "more human than
human", in the godliest sense we can comphrehend. Super empathic, super
ethical, super nice, just an all around great guy to be around! =D Is it
"ethical" to bring in a starving homeless child from off the street and
clothe them and educate them, even if they are afraid of social interaction
or family love, at first? This is analogous to the humanity+the Sysop
situation (In case you couldn't guess. It seems someone missed my earlier
analogy about human love being a fleck of gold and the Singularity being a
block of gold the size of a house, amazingly.)
If you wish to continue arguing this point further then please mail me
directly, and spare the list. Thank you kindly.

Michael Anissimov