Re: A Power's Nostalgia of Hairy-Ape-Life (was: Re: Singularity Memetics.)

From: ben goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 17:56:57 MST

People, the bottom line is, when we start talking about the presence of a
godlike supermind with the power to convince people of anything and
reconfigure our brains and our molecules at will -- we may as well just stop
talking, take off all our clothes and start dancing around going "Qua qua
qua qua!!!"

Yes, it may happen -- I expect it probably will happen -- but applying our
current brains and cultural mindsets to this scenario is just not going to
be very productive. No matter how smart we are, and no matter how
openmindedly and creatively we think.

We can't know that it will be good or bad for this to happen, and we have no
basis on which to make probability estimates about such an event. The ideas
of "good" and "bad" were formulated in a limited regime of experience, which
is not terribly relevant to events such as this.

By pushing for such an eventuality, as most of us on this list are doing, we
are taking a big bad-assed existential leap of faith. We are not making a
rational decision, because we just don't have the knowledge base on which to
make a rational decision about such a thing with more than a terribly
minimal degree of confidence. In my view, if you think you're making a
plausibly confident rational judgment about what the Sysop is going to be
like, what it's going to do, what life will be like then, etc. -- you're
almost certainly fooling yourself. Take the leap of faith -- fine --
wonderful -- but realize that's what you're doing!

-- Ben G