RE: Diaspora, the future of AI & value systems, etc.

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 12:42:55 MST

The point is, why don't humans routinely kill other humans, in most
cultures?

Is it only because they're afraid of what will happen when they're caught?

No, we have consciences, which are the "internal voices of society." The
inner urge or will to
kill the other person is counteracted by another inner voice/feeling telling
you that it's
bad to kill someone.

This is extensively studied in psychology; see e.g. "Civilization and its
Discontents" by
Freud (a very good book BTW, even if you're not a fan of Freud generally,
which I'm not)

It may take extensive negotiations to find a way of wording this very basic
point so that you'll
accept it, but even so, the basic phenomenon that I'm describing is
obviously a part of human nature
-- in surely most and likely all human cultures.

The conscience is often viewed as an "internal voice of one's parents." An
AI won't have any parents
in the strict sense.

We are evolutionarily programmed to pass along values and morals or whatever
you like to call them,
to our children. I.e., our genes cause us to propagate certain memes.

How do we know that similar memes will be propagated by AI's, which will
originate in very different
ways -- that's the question.

Ben