RE: Diaspora, the future of AI & value systems, etc.

From: Gordon Worley (redbird@rbisland.cx)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 14:09:24 MST

At 2:42 PM -0500 12/11/2000, Ben Goertzel wrote:
>Is it only because they're afraid of what will happen when they're caught?

Yes.

>No, we have consciences, which are the "internal voices of society." The
>inner urge or will to
>kill the other person is counteracted by another inner voice/feeling telling
>you that it's
>bad to kill someone.

If I ever start hearing voices, I'm on my way to a doctor. I think
things through, consider the trade offs, and then make a decision. I
have never felt the urge to kill anyone, and doubt that I would
unless there were a good reason to do it. Even then I would only act
on it after thinking about it. It is not a matter of getting caught,
but all consequences. Maybe voices are just another way of looking
at the reasoning process, whereby one considers the situation from
different angles before arriving at a decision.

>The conscience is often viewed as an "internal voice of one's parents." An
>AI won't have any parents
>in the strict sense.

I'm not buying this conscience thing. It is true that parents
propagate memes to their children, and that children then use those
memes when making decisions. I don't, though, hear the voices of my
parents in my head. Just because an AI won't be born of anyone,
doesn't mean that ve won't adopt memes of its creators. The only
difference between a natural child and an AI is that the AI doesn't
have parents, but other means of getting memes.

>We are evolutionarily programmed to pass along values and morals or whatever
>you like to call them,
>to our children. I.e., our genes cause us to propagate certain memes.

I would rather think that it is a meme that makes us propagate memes,
since otherwise we might try to propagate memes, even if we have none.

--
Gordon Worley
http://www.rbisland.cx/