RE: Diaspora, the future of AI & value systems, etc.

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@webmind.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 14:26:48 MST

It seems that this conversation is doomed to get strangled by wording
issues...

No, I didn't mean to literally say that conscience is an "inner voice."
Having in fact "heard
voices" on a few occasions, I know the difference between that and
conscience. It's just a
very common metaphorical expression. Similarly, in case you were wondering,
 when people refer to the "the voice of the people," it's not referring to
some really bizarre collective
acoustic wave formation, it's just another metaphor.

In order to avoid this kind of confusion, we could agree to communicate only
in formal mathematics,
but that does get kind of awkward after a while (and most mathematics isn't
as formal as people like
to think; see www.mizar.org for some truly formalized, unambiguous
mathematics...)

Anyway, I don't feel like spending time arguing that conscience is a
widespread psychological
phenomenon among human beings.... This is sufficiently amply documented
that it's silly to argue about it.

However, I have to take issue with the obvious silliness of the statement
that conscience may be just another
way of reasoning about possible consequences.

Don't you see that reasoning, like all mathematics, is just a way of
transforming statements into
equivalent statements (with a greater or lesser degree of certitude, in the
case of probabilistic
reasoning).... Reasoning doesn't give a system goals and motivations, it's
a method for figuring out
how to fulfill its goals and feelings, etc. It can split goals into
subgoals, or merge them into
supergoals, but it must have something to begin with.

Physical survival of the individual is the source of some of our human
goals. Conscience is another --
we have the goal not to do what is "culturally perceived as bad." Maybe you
don't have this goal, or
maybe you do and just don't want to admit it ... but anyway, my point was
about humans in general, not
about super-evolved ubermenschen such as populate this list ;>

ben