Re: Revising a Friendly AI

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 13:20:20 MST

Ben Goertzel wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> > We would be in big trouble if we make any mere human the authority over
> > relatively unlimited SI capabilities.
>
> Even ~you~, Samantha?? ;>

Oh yeah. I've had both actual and hypothetical opportunities to play
junior goddess or at least local guru in various contexts. It is not
too difficult to see how to majorly engineer some aspects of local (or
even more global) human culture in some circumstances. Frankly the
responsibility without checks and given my own self-knowledge scares the
bejeezus out of me. Of course, sitting back from the fray and watching
what other less inhibited players do or usually worse, what just evolves
naturally, isn't much fun either.

- samantha