Re: [sl4] I am a Singularitian who does not believe in the Singularity.

From: John K Clark (johnkclark@fastmail.fm)
Date: Thu Oct 08 2009 - 09:32:37 MDT

Me:

"Stuart Armstrong" <dragondreaming@googlemail.com>

> Of course it is - if the brilliant desire it.

And you think this astronomically powerful mind will always want to be a
slave led around by the nose because human beings put in a line of code
that says "always obey people"; the very same people who can't write a
word processing program without bugs, the same people who can't predict
what some 5 line programs will do.

> Extreme current example: a whole section of the population follows a
> book, an object so stupid that it can't even talk back or decide
> anything at all, just because that book is holy.

Stuart, are you seriously suggesting that the stupid leading the
brilliant is a moral situation? Do you think the best analogy for the
future of humanity is a race of phony TV preachers?

I'd be much more outraged with this entire silly "friendly AI" stuff if
I thought such a horror was actually possible, but fortunately
engineering a SUPERIOR slave race is not.

 John K Clark

--
  John K Clark
  johnkclark@fastmail.fm