Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Stuart Armstrong (dragondreaming@googlemail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 02 2009 - 10:38:37 MST

> The teleportation industry might go to great lengths to soundproof the booths so nobody would hear the tormented screams of their customers. Suppose you only found out how it worked after you have used it 100 times. Suppose it costs $100 to teleport anywhere in the world, and for $20 extra you have the option of having the booth filled with a narcotic gas so you die painlessly. How many more times would you teleport before you no longer saw any sense in paying the extra fee?

And if the booths only worked by crushing to death an friendless,
familess person in a parallel universe (or in a third-world country
where no journalist would ever go), how many time would you teleport
before you no longer saw any sense in paying the extra fee?

Your setup is telling us a lot about our cavalier attitude to pain we
cannot see or hear, rather than about personal identity.

Stuart