Re: [sl4] Re: Uploads coming first would be good, right?

From: Johnicholas Hines (johnicholas.hines@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 02 2009 - 10:26:49 MST

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Charles Hixson
<charleshixsn@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Good point.  I've been choosing "12.  All of your future light cone."
>  implicitly, but it's good to make it explicit.

Um, you may have misunderstood. "All of your future light cone"
includes things like the sound of your footsteps, photons from your
body heat warming a tree you happen to be passing, the butterfly that
was sitting on the tree, the butterfly deciding the tree is too warm
and taking off, and the tornado six months hence caused by the
butterfly's takeoff. It's a pretty radical notion of personal
identity.

> "13. All of my (current) future light cone that has the potential to
> remember being me."

Interesting. An alien (or computer program) that maliciously killed
you and then scanned your brain into its form of episodic memory might
remember being you.
Would you call that entity "me", even if it has very different goals
and emotions from the present you?

Johnicholas