Re: [sl4] Weakening morality

From: Charles Hixson (charleshixsn@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2009 - 13:43:07 MST

There's one more thing. The action taken needs to be seen as for the
advantage of all who are involved in the effort. This is especially
noticeable when one notices where vaccination efforts run into trouble,
but I believe that it's a general principle.

When people don't see that the centrally decided upon action is to their
benefit, they are often reluctant to push the effort, and will do no
more than they must. This is a clear cause of inefficiency in
accomplishing the centrally decided upon goal. Threats as motivation
only work to the extent that actions are taken to avoid the threat.
This is one of the primary reasons that subservient peoples always
appear stupid. It not to their benefit to appear otherwise.

Note that I'm not claiming anything about conscious intent. Much of
this is accomplished via social controls rather than individual
decision. E.g., children of "the Flatlands" around here are in physical
danger if they do much better than average in school tests. The danger
comes from their classmates who don't like being shown up.