Re: [sl4] How much do languages matter for AGI programming?

From: Philip Hunt (cabalamat@googlemail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 29 2008 - 03:26:54 MST

2008/11/28 Larry <entropy@farviolet.com>:

> Ultimately real AI is likely going to be emulating a nervous
> system.

It is not obvious to me that this is the case.

> You arn't going to program knowledge into the AI, your
> going to create a program that can learn. Basically its going
> to be an interpreter that runs a nervous system. For this purpose
> LISP or other "AI languages" would be worse than useless. You'll
> want C,C++ or assembly, anything else is just going to get in the
> way and slow things down.

Premature optimisation is the root of all evil -- C.A.R. Hoare

Your best bet, if you want code to run fast, is to code it in whatever
language you're most productive with, then run a profiler on it to see
what's taking the most time (and can therefore be speeded up most).

--
Philip Hunt, <cabalamat@googlemail.com>