Re: [sl4] How much do languages matter for AGI programming?

From: J. Andrew Rogers (andrew@ceruleansystems.com)
Date: Fri Nov 28 2008 - 14:22:58 MST

On Nov 28, 2008, at 12:38 PM, Martin Sawitzki wrote:
> My comment is based on the idea that AI needs a programming language
> that implements all paradigms needed for AI. Right now LISP seems to
> be the language with the most (if not all) paradigms known to man,
> but i would not be surprised if new paradigms pop up during AI
> research.

How do you know what paradigms are needed for AI? And what about the
paradigms LISP does not do well? Why not use a more paradigm-agile
language (e.g. Python)? And why applicative functional languages
rather than concatenative functional languages, given their
comparative advantages?

It all seems so arbitrary.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers