Re: [sl4] Is there a model for RSI?

From: Stathis Papaioannou (stathisp@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2008 - 01:38:04 MDT

2008/6/18 Matt Mahoney <matmahoney@yahoo.com>:

> For example, suppose we bred mice for intelligence. We could give mice tests such as running mazes, understanding words, solving math problems, etc. and breed the best performers. This is non-evolutionary (in my intended sense) because we control the fitness function. But once mice achieve human intelligence, we reach a dead end. How do you distinguish an IQ of 1000 from an IQ of 2000? Who is going to do the testing? We have the Turing test for human level intelligence, but nothing for superhuman intelligence.

A human with access to tools and information has superhuman
intelligence compared to an unaugmented human in that he is able to
solve intellectual problems better and faster. And a group of humans,
such as the population of the world, is clearly vastly more
intelligent by this criterion than any individual human, even though
there is no ready test whereby the world's intelligence can be
compared to yours or mine, or to what it was a century ago.

--
Stathis Papaioannou