Re: Memory Merging Possible For Close Duplicates

From: Mike Dougherty (msd001@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2008 - 19:49:27 MDT

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 6:49 PM, Lee Corbin <lcorbin@rawbw.com> wrote:

> The point being that merging two separate incidents or separate
> days for close duplicates is child's play compared to that! You
> go to Florence for a vacation, we duplicate you and your hotel
> room, and in each case la policia burst into your hotel room
> and take you in for interrogation. But in one case, they're very
> nice and wear blue uniforms, and in the other they're very mean
> and wear black. Later, after the merge, you'd be confused, but
> you'd have to guess that either you'd suffered a little amnesia
> or your imagination had played tricks. But you are still absolutely
> the same person, even though you had a very weird day or two
> in Italy.

I doubt that it will be so difficult. Once you have uploaded the first set
of memories, the second should cram in with a bit of cleverness. After
that, the 3-N are a matter of rinse & repeat. Sure it might take a
redesign/upgrade of memory pointers - but you were already suggesting that
by supposing the movie and bookstore were indeterminately ordered. I have
had superpositions of memories that have and have not (yet) happened. I
have commented on "dreams" that I had, then (sometimes months) later
actually experienced what I dreamed. Is this a defect of memory or
point-in-time awareness? What if I told someone about the dream when I woke
up or wrote the details in a journal? Can a second party (or journal)
corroborate the premonition/deja-vu - or, like the observer examining
Schroedinger's cat, do they become entangled with the perception of
memory/pre-cognition?

Suppose I had experience military combat training in an altered state but do
not consciously recall this training until a life-threatening situation
presents itself. Did I 'merge' this experience into myself just-in-time, or
was it lying dormant in an unconscious memory? How do I recall the
knowledge used to answer game-show questions between the time they are asked
and the time the contestant answers them? Is there some retrieval of
knowledge that I casually encountered at some arbitrary point in the past,
or a pre-cognitive examination of the impending answer? I don't (often)
think about it.