Re: Friendliness SOLVED!

From: Mark Waser (mwaser@cox.net)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2008 - 19:59:59 MDT

>> You may remove the disputed clause .. or you may not. I prefer to remain non-committal regarding your insistance to declare my action UnFriendly conditional on my next declaration. I have not waited very long at all to reply, but feel that your repeated insistence may be construed as UnFriendly-ism - though perhaps not by me or those local members of our Friendly Society, but to a majority of the more Conservatively Friendly Citizens who are implicitly assumed by their nature to be Anonymously Friendly.

I shall then remove the disputed clause since you gave me the option. Actually, other people's view of what is Friendly and what is UnFriendly is *entirely* irrelevant. As long as you are comfortable with my declaration of Friendliness and believe it, then I *AM* Friendly as far as you are concerned (because apparently my declaration is enough of a contract for you to feel comfortable that I truly am Friendly).

>> Agreed: If nothing else, this self-referential meta-formalism is an amusing use of language.

It is self-reinforcing but it also has *major* implications in the real world. I am trying to prevent entities from performing horrible and unethical acts by convincing them (because it is true) that such actions are not in their self-interest. An excellent side-effect of my theory is that I find myself able to derive many (if not all) laws of ethics from it so that it actually provides guidance as to what is ethical and what is not.

If this truly works then l should have the ice-9 of ethics and it should solve a lot of problems. Can you provide a counter-example to my theory or clearly state why an entity should not volutarily convert or clearly state where it is not in an entity's best self-interest to be friendly or where an entity could remain friendly according to *my* formalism and still perform a horrible and unethical action?

Thanks again.

        Mark