Re: Friendliness SOLVED!

From: Mark Waser (mwaser@cox.net)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2008 - 18:28:57 MDT

> So what *does* it include?

Exactly what I listed as the Declaration of Friendliness in the e-mail. I
copy-and-paste it below.

Hi, I'm Mark Waser.

I am hereby declaring myself to be a Friendly entity as of March 12, 2008.
I have not knowingly/intentionally performed any UnFriendly actions since
this date.

I have not previously been declared UnFriendly by any declared Friendly
entity. I have not been requested to put any disputed actions or
unintentional UnFriendly actions in this declaration by any declared
Friendly entity.

I am voluntarily undertaking the goals of Friendliness because I understand
that doing so is in my own best self-interest and is the best way to achieve
all my other goals.

I am voluntarily undertaking the primary/overriding goal of Friendliness as
my primary and pre-eminent goal. I understand this goal to be:

  a.. Do not act contrary to someone's/anyone's goals unless absolutely
necessary for the fulfillment of a reasonable/rational personal goal
(explicitly not including generic sub-goals like money, power, pleasure,
religion, etc.)
I am voluntarily undertaking the goal of spreading Friendliness and
assigning it a reasonable priority (i.e. enough to be a net asset to a
Friendly Society) because I understand that doing so is in my own
self-interest.

I will act in accordance with these goals according to the rules/laws of a
Friendly Society included in this declaration. I understand that if I
knowingly and intentionally act contrary to these rules/laws that I can be
declared UnFriendly and will need to make another declaration of
Friendliness including information about the most recent times that I have
been declared UnFriendly.

I understand that the rules/laws of a Friendly Society include the
requirement that all statements in this declaration be truthful under
penalty of having this declaration declared null and void and my being
declared UnFriendly for attempting to impersonate a Friendly entity.

In particular, I understand that hiding or lying about any UnFriendly
actions (even if unintentionally or unknowingly performed) is contrary to
the rules/laws of a Friendly Society. I understand that while I may defend
myself against unfair charges of UnFriendly actions, I must admit to all
UnFriendly actions (even if unknowingly and/or intentionally performed) and
must include all disputed charges in this declaration as requested for a
reasonable length of time or risk having this declaration declared null and
void and my being declared UnFriendly.

I understand that the rules/laws of Friendly Society state that declaring
another entity UnFriendly is, in itself, UnFriendly unless there is
reasonable cause for doing so, I have executed a reasonable due process, and
am sure beyond reasonable doubt. I understand that the rules/laws further
require that I retract any declarations of UnFriendliness if *any*
reasonable doubt subsequently arises and I must volunteer my most recent
retractions of UnFriendliness declarations (if any) when asked and in any
subsequent UnFriendliness declarations.

    <signed>

    Mark R. Waser

> Without a definition of "reasonable/rational personal goal", how can
> anyone say?

Friendliness only requires that you make your best honest effort to make
that determination. If you honestly believe that you acting Friendly then
you are acting Friendly as long as you listen and attempt to understand to
the best of your ability any counter-arguments.

> Even then, AFAIK you haven't explained why it's in every
> AGI's self-interest to be Friendly.

No, I have not done so on this list except by claiming that it is in *every*
entity's self-interest to be Friendly and then backing it up by declaring
myself Friendly. If you can show me a case where it is not to my advantage
to be Friendly, then I will either fix my declaration or remove my claim to
a solution to Friendliness.

I am working very hard to make this a disprovable theory (the *only*
valuable kind :-)

Thanks for the questions.

        Mark