Re: The Meaning That Immortality Gives to Life

From: Norman Noman (overturnedchair@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2007 - 14:15:45 MDT

These are the kind of problems you WANT to have. If we all become immortal,
superintelligent entities, and the best thing you can think of is to stare
at a wall, I'd be glad to entertain you in return for your support in my
enterprises.

I guess the idea is that up to a certain level of sophistication, life gets
more and more complicated, but then beyond that it gets simplified again
until we're all just beings of pure energy with nothing to do. This strikes
me as a failure of imagination. "self-actualization", the capstone on
maslow's pyramid of needs, is really a pandora's box which explodes into all
kinds of crazy crap. If boredom is problem #1, I will be pleasantly
surprised to say the least.