Re: Re[2]: A very surreal day

From: Dagon Gmail (dagonweb@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2007 - 15:46:29 MDT

Humanity has shown itself so stubborn, so conceited, and so elitist,
as a quality of almost genetic proportions, the implications are
staggering. We scarcely discarded out pleistocene hunter-gatherer
genes and are already adapting faster than credible to modern
mass-murder realpolitik. The genes allowing such creative leaps have
been migrating steadily upwards in the gene-pool, hand in hand with
all the damn money.

My intuition screams at its loudest, for what it's worth, the following points.

1 - a small but expanding number of extreme thinkers in all 3
remaining superpowers are contemplating the emergence of completely
unorthodox technologies. Russia has shown it thinks most outside the
box, with it's references to He3 mining and nanotech superpower
ambitions and notions of orbital energy stations, but the US, with
it's nutty thinktanks and New American Century rhetoric has done its
fair share of wild eyed speculation too.

2- right now I sincerely believe that no sincere powerplayer anywhere
inhabiting some consolidated power ivory tower, anywhere in the US or
Russia or China will endanger his credibility and career by actually
suggesting that pseudo-raelians like Kurzweil could actually have a
point - publicly that is. However I am positive the filthy cthonian
tentacles of the sith are even present here, on this forum, in the
shape of junior think tank interns and other assorted imps and minions
of darkness.

3- I am certain superpowers are terrified and extremely defensive
about emerging technologies and have been building reserves of all
kinds to weather... unknowns... accidents. From hidden swiss bank
accounts overflowing with pentagon money, to consolidated oil fields
and salt mines with unprecedented barrel reserves, I am sure and I
have seen clues the superpowers are cautious. Take for instance the
paranoid race to develop and keep secret the spinoffs of the
Metalstorm technology. Metalstorm has already shaken several strategic
ballances, and it's still as simple as staplers.

What if some lunatic comes up with cold fusion? What if some lunatic
comes up antigravity - the brass ponders with a furrowed and sweaty
brow. And that's only linear predictable stuff. The same brass,
generally elder men with straightforward linear intellects, will have
trouble seeing the implications of smart, evolving, modular robotics
with a portable fabber parts womb. The average transhumanist gets
sparkles in his eyes when I say that, but 99% of pentagon staff will
look puzzled and try wiki-ing what I just said. And then most of them
will think I am one of those star trek losers. Convince them however
that such a think could be a reality before 2025 and they'll get
seriously nervous.

4- My intuition screams, again, for what it is worth, that elements in
all major superpowers have by now come to the conclusion that "it
wouldn't be so bad if a major percentage of people succumbed to a
variant of passive demise", somewhere in the next 20-50 years. I am
sure there will be (a) reports detailing how such a terrible thing
could happen have existed for decades, (b) studies on how to
repopulate earth with people less inclined to be homosexual or liberal
or or potheads or french have been completed, (c) there may even be
studies to ehm coalesce such a horrible idea into ehm a post-reality
state. Purely speculative of course, but only because the heathen
communist slopes have a similar program.

As such one thing is clear: I do not trust people in power. Am I
wrong, after having witnessed several genocides as casual topics in
the news, just after TV-reportings of Paris Hilton and blipverts? I am
positive people are scum, as a rule, and once given a good reason and
a few billion dollars, everyone, even that nice lady across the
street, can sink to the moral equivalent of Dick Cheney.

Which leads me to one conclusion worth mentioning here: people like
Elizer, people who make the same bold techno-erotic statements and
have the same eloquent charisma and credibility, will, at some satured
point in the future, receive a visit from men in dark suits, bearing
suitcases with money, blonde pleasure-slaves and other assorted
temptations to lure them to all kinds of black ops think tanks.

They will try and buy the elizers of transhumanism when they start
believing. Once the first stray transhumanist with fiery eyes gets
his first visit by a present day mefistopheles, we can make a sure
assumption skynet's evil twin-brother is less than 5 years away.

Dare I say "muhuahua?"